To develop children’s scientific knowledge and understanding; fostering their curiosity to investigate the biological, chemical and physical processes that shape the world around them.
At St. George’s Junior School, we inspire all pupils to become confident, curious and enthusiastic scientists.
· Develops an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of enquiries that help them to ask and answer relevant questions about the world around them.
· Builds upon the learning and skill development of the previous years, ensuring pupils are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future. To do this, we use a range of assessment techniques and knowledge organisers.
· Develops the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen pupils’ scientific knowledge. These skills are embedded into lessons to ensure they are being developed throughout key stage 2 and new vocabulary and challenging concepts are introduced through direct teaching.
· Provides opportunities for our pupils to use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including digital technology, diagrams, graphs and charts.
· Embeds a respect for the materials and equipment pupils handle with regard to their own, and other pupils’ safety.
· Provides problem solving and investigation opportunities that allow pupils to lead their own learning. Pupils are encouraged to ask their own questions and are given opportunities to use their scientific skills and research and discover the answers.